Friday, May 15, 2009

Rastafari...

Alright, so what is Rastafari and why do so many people find it interesting? I think one of the biggest influences is that they know Bob Marley had a huge role in spreading word around this. I'm not trying to question the belief itself but I'm trying to point out the role that 'celebrities' have in religion. It may not seem like much but really. Think about it.

What about Madonna and her whole Kabbalah deal? I mean when people saw her expressing her religion by wearing the red bracelet then everyone started to do it. They didn't quite understand why at first but then they followed. Now more and more celebrities are doing so and it's very eerie to me.

Another example is Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes and their scientology belief. I don't particularly know the detail so their belief but I know there was controversy about whether or not it was legitimate at first. But regardless, they follow it. And others and followed in their footsteps because they are this high profile couple who seem to know what they are doing.

My point that I'm trying to make is simply that all of these religions that no one really understands is something that is blown out of proportion because of all the celebrities. And I don't think it's quite fair to the religion itself, but, I suppose that's how it has to work.

3 comments:

  1. I aslo agree with you that a lot of religions have famous celebrity supporters. Many people don't really research the religion but they do things that the celebrities do. It isn't fair to the religion but the public should make an effort to learn more about the religion instead of just following along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that celebritis do play an important role in religion. Focusing mainly on the details you mention I think that, in a way it is unfair to the religion. I agree with Dorcas comment, I think that individuals should pay attention to the actual religion and not the people following it. It also think that it is amazing that some celebrities do make their religion known.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point about celebrity driven interest in a religion. I like Marley more than Tom Cruise.. but your post is making me think about how nonetheless it is still at heart celebrity that brings the religion to our attention. On Wednesday we will see more "indigenous" versions of Rastafari that are separate from Marley..

    ReplyDelete