Friday, May 29, 2009

Identifying yourself

So, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has been looking for who they are. I grew up with many identities and religion was not one of them.

People have created "religion tests" and tried to help people, like me, identify ourselves. I don't think they work because I took one of the tests and questions they asked strictly stuck to Christian doctrine...maybe I'm mistaken but I don't think that's fair. My result was Reformed Judaism. I don't have anything against their beliefs but I definitely do not identify myself as 'Reformed Judaism.'

Why is there all this discussion to identify yourself using religion? I know it plays a role in people's lives but it also doesn't play a role in others. You can live a perfectly normal life and not believe in a god or some divine being. There are athiests out there who don't believe. It's very critical to people to try and find something that they follow. And even if we did know, why should we tell others? I feel like it's very personal and if people want it could be very private. It just doesn't make sense on why people must find the need to identify you.

No comments:

Post a Comment