Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Boboshanti

I definitely had a different vibe from the video. I think that the Rastafari are portrayed as this group that listens to reggae and smoke ganja in their free time. But after watching the video I felt that it was definitely a legitimate group because they had rituals they had others who were interested or not interested in their group.

There were some confirmations made by the video for example: the dreadlock and the turbin. It kind of intertwined the Rastafari culture but it seemed to trace back to the Ethiopian culture as well. Another thing I remember reading about was the communities of Rastafari who live close to each other to express their beliefs in a welcoming community and if you look closely in the video you can see the houses near other houses and they talk about people who cooperate with each other. One thing about the housing that I found particularly interesting was the color of the house, red, green and yellow/gold. It helped to express their beliefs.

This video was very informational to me because it told me that there are expectations that arise but in reality it isn't that different from things that we are already familiar with. I think that the Rastafari may have been viewed in the "commercial" light that makes it more appealing to others who have been exposed to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment