Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Psalm 18

I don't think that the image of God is terrifying in this Psalm. If I was the one who were commmentating on what he was doing as he was "punishing" or "scaring" my enemies I'd be basically cheering him on. I would have wanted God to defend me and know what I want in the sense of someone who could protect me.

On the other hand, if I wasn't on the good side, and I was the enemy, yes, I'd be deathly afraid. A anthromorphoized image of God that is portrayed through the words of my enemy.

The image of God being able to yell a battle cry. That could be good or bad depending on which position you are in. If I was on the side of God I'd be so entranced by all of His continuous strength, I'd take the battle cry as something that was meant to happen in order to protect me. But, if I was not on the good side, I'd be terrified. I wouldn't want an almighty being yelling at me.

So, I think the image of God, personally, is not scary. But, then again it depends on which side is being defended.

No comments:

Post a Comment