Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Kebra Negast

I didn't know much about Ethiopia before class on Monday and after listening and learning about some of it I was really surprised to know that there were really that many people who had different beliefs. I was especially surprised to know that Ethiopia has a prominant Christian background. Reading about King Soloman and Queen of Sheba really emphasized that to me.

The story allows the people of Ethiopia to really connect with "the God of Israel" and the God that King Soloman followed. To me it helps Ethiopians to really connect with their past. And because the Queen of Sheba had Soloman's son it also feels like there is that familial bond that allows people to connect in another way besides spiritually.

This story also reminds me of a lot of contempory stories where a child finds out who his or her real father is and goes to claim that title. The title that says, "I-am-part-of-you-so-you-must-accept-me." And to me, it's not just one child claiming that now, it's a lot of Ethiopians who feel that way. I'm not trying to say that its a bad thing but its another way to look at it...

No comments:

Post a Comment